The mission of the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) is to develop & maintain a common operating picture, provide incident resource support, coordinate information and communications, and ensure policy directives are represented in the development of operational strategies.
Who works in an EOC?
- Emergency management staff
- Government entities
- Nonprofit agencies
- Community-based organizations
- Private-sector organizations
When is an EOC used?
- Disaster Declarations
- Most incidents requiring multiple operational periods
- At the discretion of Policy Group members to monitor the situation and provide guidance
- Resources are needed beyond local mutual aid
- Special functional capabilities are required
How the EOC assists the incident
- Providing the “big picture” view of the incident
- Establishing policy or resolving conflicting policies
- Providing communications and messaging support
- Managing public information issues and media requests
- Providing and prioritizing resources
- Authorizing emergency expenditures
- Coordination amongst commands or agencies