Our internship program offers the opportunity for individuals interested in the field of emergency management to get hands-on experience with one of the premiere emergency management agencies in Colorado. Our interns work closely with our staff, and independently, on projects involving all phases of the emergency management cycle. Our interns are exposed to emergency management activities at all levels of government and have an opportunity build an impressive portfolio.
Examples of past intern achievements include:
- Working in an active Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
- Participating in, designing, and delivering trainings and exercises.
- Completing projects to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of Boulder’s emergency management program areas.
- Landing a job!
The successful intern will perform a variety of projects at varying levels of complexity in support of the Boulder Office of Emergency Management. Specific project areas will include:
- Resource Mobilization local vendor book updates.
- Emergency Support Function (ESF) Annex updates.
- ESF notification roster maintenance.
- Resource Mobilization and Situational Awareness Section labs.
- Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) Tier II reporting.
- Planning support.
- Training and exercise program support.
- Provide support during EOC activations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- General knowledge of project and process management.
- Demonstrates initiative in work tasks.
- Clear and concise communication skills, including written, verbal and nonverbal.
- Organize information in a clear and logical format.
- Identify, analyze and address problems in a timely and effective manner.
- Establish, maintain and foster positive working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Effective use of computers and MS Office Suite.
- Basic record keeping and database management.
- Demonstrated interest in the field of emergency management.
- Familiarity with EOC and WebEOC preferred, but not required.
- Must undergo fingerprinting and pass a criminal background check prior to internship placement.
- Commitment of at least 12 hours per week between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Work schedule between those hours is very flexible.
- Duration of commitment is one year with a 6 month probationary period.
Our interns are not eligible for payroll or other benefits. However, successful applicants will have the opportunity to gain experience and learn about emergency management while having a blast!
Successful completion of the internship program will grant eligibility to apply for the EOC volunteer program. Through this program, individuals can continue work with our EOC sections and continue to be called to work in the EOC during future activations.
The application period runs from June 1st to August 31st of each year. To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter via email to Justin Bukartek at gro.y1542324529tnuoc1542324529redlu1542324529ob@ke1542324529traku1542324529bj1542324529. The interview and selection process will be held in the beginning of September. Upon selection and successful completion of a background check, the candidate will begin their internship the first week of October.