- Keep freezers and refrigerators closed to preserve perishable food as long as possible.
- Disconnect electronic devices from power strips and outlets to avoid damage from surges.
- Do not use a gas stove or oven to heat your home.
- Use a generator, but ONLY outdoors and away from windows.
- Have alternative plans for refrigerating medicines or using power-dependent medical equipment and devices.
- Speak to your medical provider for guidance on an alternative plan.
- Find out how long your medication can be stored at higher temperatures and get specific guidance for any medications that are critical for life.
Medical Equipment that Requires Power Source:
- Create a plan for alternative sources of power.
- Read equipment instructions and talk with equipment suppliers about back up options.
- Regularly check alternative and back up power equipment.
- Contact your power and water providers to notify them of your needs for life safety equipment.